Wednesday, October 4, 2006

Such the helper!

Today, Rob was home, which means not having to drag all the kids to and from Lexi's school. I took Robby with me when I went to pick her up. As we walked, before I even saw the man, Robby started speaking to him..... "HHHHIIIIIIIII!....Do you need any help?" The man was sitting on the porch fixing his screen door. Of course he said that he didn't need any help, but it just made me so happy that Robby is so willing to help others (even if he does balk at helping around the house). Such a little gentleman, he is. Everyday, as we walk to Lexi's school, he greets EVERY person we pass with a cheerful "Good Morning!"

It made me think about this past weekend...I was on my way to my mom's house to visit with my sister and her kids who were down visiting. On the way, I got a flat tire. (Thank goodness for cellphones and Dad's!) Now, in reality I could have changed it all myself....but I was glad that my dad was willing to come to my aid. As I sat there waiting though, I started wondering where all the "do-gooders" of the world have gone? Not one person stopped to ask if I needed assistance. Although after thinking more on it, I'm glad that no one stopped. There are too many crazies out there, and it was just me and the kids. Still it makes me sad what our world has become. What ever happened to lending a helping hand not because you'll get some tangible reward, but just because it's a beautiful thing to do.

In highschool I had an English teacher who was near and dear to my heart. She had a motto that we all had to learn and use whenever possible. PRACTICE RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS. It was a great experience for me...and I do try to be kind whenever I can just because. That sweet teacher died shortly after I had moved away, but I'll never forget her "legacy" of being kind.
So when I find my kids being kind just because, I feel like I am doing SOMETHING right, which is an awesome feeling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey Erin! it's Mary... I can't read the right side of your blog site. I don't know why. Anywho, I hope you're doin fabulous!!