Thursday, January 1, 2009

It's the little(r) things

I'm the kind of person who loves to make up words. I often use the endings "ness", "esque", "ly", "y" or "er" at my own discretion. It makes me happy. For example, I often tell my sister Lammy that I miss her very badly-ness. There's more emphasis then on just how bad I miss her. Badly just isn't enough. Catch my drift? Oddly enough, those close to me know exactly what I mean too. I know Lolly could probably think of several of my "words" too. :) That's just how I roll, yo....
Wait... am I even cool enough to say that?

There is one word, however that I think SHOULD be a word. That is "littler". You know like little and er...sort of like smaller... but cuter. I know it's not a word, and I often correct myself because I know it's not proper English (or American?). But I love it. I want it to be a word. So yes I'm sure I will use it here on this blog and you will all grow to love it as I do. (Yes, you will. No, really I'm serious.)

There are some words that I really try hard not to use. But living in the south, I admit that they do slip out from time to time. I really don't like "ain't" (hmm is that spelled right?) and "fixin". Like, "I'm fixin to run to the store". I don't really have any good examples of ain't, because I can't come up with any where it doesn't make you sound really dumb. "I ain't gonna do that", "I ain't got none?" See what I mean? *shudder*

You're really glad you read all this aren't you? Ain't you?
(sorry I couldn't help myself)

What is sadder still, is that ain't doesn't show up as a non-word. You know like when you spell something wrong, and the computer gives it a squiggly red line underneath it to prevent you from appearing to be spelling impaired? Yeh, not there with ain't.
Go figure, right? What's the world coming to? Geesh

No comments: