Tuesday, January 13, 2009

ch-ch-changes

It's funny how just when you're feeling comfortable, life throws you a curve ball. Change is always inevitable, yet often times I feel myself struggling to adapt to that change. Especially when it wasn't MY plan to change.

Yesterday, I had to be let go from my job. Nothing I did, but just with the economy being what it is, there wasn't enough business to keep my job. It was a big surprise to me, and I cried. (and I'm one of those hysterical can't-understand-what-you're-saying criers) I was just so sad. I loved my job and the people I worked with. It was a perfect job with flexibility so I could work around the kids and home. It was easy to go right to "POOR ME".

But after the initial shock wore off, and I could think beyond my own selfishness, I couldn't help but think about things from my boss's perspective. She had to tell two friends (we've all known each other online for years...even before she started the business) the bad news, knowing how sad we would be. And then she had to hear the disappointment and sadness as we ended our employment. That can't be easy in any setting, let alone with friends. I'm fairly certain it's not something she was happy to be doing. It also made me think about people who've also been laid off due to the economic struggles who were the sole breadwinners of the family. How thankful I am that Rob still has a job!! My income wasn't a necessity and we will still get along fine without it. But there are SO many people who don't have a job facing worse situations than mine. And suddenly my pity party seems oh so insignificant.

So instead of focusing on the would-be's or could-have's that came with my old job, I'm focusing on all that I do have. I have more blessings I can count. Even though it's an adjustment to now not be working again, I am thankful for the opportunity I had to work. It was nice while it lasted, and I have good friends because of it. And who really knows what the future will hold. I guess I needed another helping of humility with a side of gratitude. Funny what thinking can do...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

HUGS! Why didn't you tell me last night??? I'm so glad you came last night, BTW. The girls were thrilled to see you. I'm sorry about the sad news...but maybe there are bigger and better things on the horizon...

Unknown said...

Hey -- Lammy locked her blog! Will you tell her that I follow her blog religiously and she needs to invite me so I can get in???

Mary Monster Mary said...

Wow, sorry to hear you lost your job. Sounds like you've got a good attitude though. We have a few friends and family struggling right now with the same thing. It's rough out there.