Thursday, March 5, 2009

great to be 8

Right before my very eyes, my girl is not little anymore. Everyone tells you that "kids grow up so fast", and "don't blink", but nothing really prepares you. Then suddenly you wake up and struggle to figure out how it seems she was just a baby YESTERDAY!!

Alexis is turning 8 in August. This marks a pretty big milestone in our religion. 8 is the age of accountability, when we know basic right from wrong. It's the age you have to be to be baptized. Last week they had a "Great to be 8" night at the church for all the kids turning 8 this year. It was a night to basically answer any questions the kids might have about their baptism day. Alexis and I were asked to sing a song for it. I must admit, I've never considered myself a singer. I'm usually the one behind the piano. But I was excited for the opportunity, and excited for Alexis to have the opportunity. She LOVES to sing, but does get nervous in front of people. I thought it would be a good chance to overcome some of that. She was excited about it too, and we practiced everyday.
It ended up fabulous (although no thanks to me, as I ended up with a cold and had a crunky voice). I was so proud of Alexis overcoming her fears. She is amazing.

As we talked about baptism, I couldn't help but think back to my own day. I remember Jenn being scared and wanting me to go first. I was all excited that finally I got to do SOMETHING first (sometimes being the younger twin stinks!), and wouldn't you know it, they wanted to go in birth order, so she did go first. It's funny the things you remember.
I can't believe that Alexis is just about there. Suddenly I feel myself asking if we've taught her enough, does she know the things she needs to, is she READY for baptism??!!

And then I just sat back and watched. I don't get many opportunities to see her "in action" since she's the oldest and I've usually got my eyes on 4 others as well. But it was a treat to be able to sit back and just watch her. She is so confident and sure of herself. And so ready. When in the world did all that happen? I am amazed at her simple faith and unconditional love.

And so, as she is nearing her 8th birthday, I've found myself doing a lot of reflecting. These 8 years have gone by so quickly. No doubt the next 8 will go by even more. Slow down, baby girl. I'm not ready!!!!

2 comments:

Famy of Boys said...

Wow, she is such an amazing little girl.

Unknown said...

My mom used to always talk about Alexis back when she was playing the piano for Primary, about how smart she is and the thoughtful answers she would give when questions were asked. How awesome you two got to sing together! And what's this about you not being a singer?! I always thought you were good back in YW days. Oh, and that SO sounds like sweet, shy Jenn to want you to go first on your baptism day. I love that girl! I'm so glad she's in our family!