Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Becoming old?

There's nothing like another birthday to make you feel older, right? Actually though, age really has never bothered me. As I creep closer towards 30, I keep thinking that maybe I'll suddenly feel old or I don't know, something! But I don't. I suppose that's a good thing.

But you know what IS a big fat slap in the face that you ARE getting old?? Finding your first gray hair. It downright sucks. Old people are grey. Not me. I'm still young and lively and young. Such injustice to look in the mirror and see it. But I pulled it out. So does that technically mean I am young again? Sheesh

Going through the courses of thinking about old-ness, I do realize, however, that despite the eternal youth thing I have going on, I have not taken care of my body as best as I should. I've never been particularly thin. I was, I would say, "average" back in high school. Then after graduating and getting married, I crossed over into the overweight club. 5 kids later, and well, I'm well past that line now.

Now that we're beyond the having babies part, I can't chalk it up to "I just had a baby" or anything like that. My baby is almost 18 months. *cries* And I know every year I let it go, it'll be that much harder to come off.

So, I've begun (once again--but this time with more determination maybe?) implementing changes. I wish I could afford a gym membership, but it's just not a possibility right now. (Though I have thought about looking into maybe a trade-out working in the daycare thing that I guess some gyms offer) I do have an elliptical machine here at the house, and I've been going for walks more often. I'll just have to make do with what I have! I want to work my way towards a 5K. (And seriously, I've never liked running, so I have no idea where this is coming from ROFL)

All I know is I'm unhappy with my body and I want to change. I'm trying to read up more on fitness and health so that I can make the right changes so that I can succeed. I've never been good at sticking with diet and exercise, but I want to so badly. I want to have a good self-image, which I'm lacking right now.

I'm out of excuses. I've let myself get into this shape, and it's going to take work and perseverance to get fit. I really really want to succeed.

5 comments:

lelu said...

I'm working towards a 5K too! I don't love it but I know it's good for me. Find a running buddy, it makes it bearable. Good luck!

Candace said...

good for you erin...if you want we can give you our dog and you can take it on walks 2-3 times a day... just kidding although we are looking to get rid of our dog...moving to an apartment no dogs allowed. Anywho, good luck on making the changes...i go to a gym and am seeing progress, but get stuck on the sugar thing...too many sweets. one day...
if you want...i'll do the 5k with you when you are ready. i've always wanted to do one. you have some great goals...stick to them and give us updates as to how you're doing.

Famy of Boys said...

You can totally do it!!

The Kroebers said...

I randomly happened upon your blog and wanted to congratulate you on your decision to become healthier. I have been trying lately too. I wanted to tell you about sparkpeople.com. It's a free weight loss site that is great. Several of my family members use it and we all like it. I love that it's totally FREE. Good luck and keep it up.

Lammy said...

Yeh, I'm feeling you...
My baby is 10 *sob* and yet I'm still the same weight as I was when she was born.

To add insult to injury...I have been working on the 12 week program at work... and while I have lost and gained 3-4 lbs here and 2-3 lbs there....I have lost a grand total of 1 lb of my original weight.

*sigh*

You go girl.