Wednesday, October 17, 2007

baby blues

I really thought with this being my fifth baby, that I pretty much knew how things were going to go. I thought for sure I'd get induced somewhere between 38-39 weeks just like it's happened in past pregnancies. Well let me tell you, I don't know squat!

At my appointment today, my doctor was really surprised to find that I'm STILL not dilated at all, and am, as he said "still thick and hard". He told me he thought with this being #5, that I would have already delivered her. "Me too," I told him. So we talked about induction...but at this point, he doesn't think my cervix is favorable for an induction, and so chances of a c-section would be high. So the logical choice would be next week, right? (the week I'm due!). Only one small problem. MY DOCTOR IS OUT OF TOWN NEXT WEEK! AHHHHHHHHHH! So unless I happen to go into labor on my own, I'm scheduled to see my Dr. a week from Monday, and he plans to induce that Wednesday, the 31st.

Wait.
The 31st???????? That's SIX DAYS past my due date.
But that's the plan. *sigh*

I got out of the Dr.'s office and the floodgates opened up. I had a BIG FAT PITY PARTY and I'm sure I startled anyone that might have seen me in the parking lot. I had never thought I'd have to go past my due date. I knew it wasn't the end of the world and yet I could not stop the tears.

Then someone told me "it could always be worse" and went on to name a couple of worse situations. It was what I needed to hear because quite honestly I could not get out of my "woe is me" funk. So, instead of focusing on the two long weeks that most likely I'll get to, I'm counting my blessings. I have much to be grateful for, so I need to pull up my bootstraps and keep on keeping on. Or something like that.

And who knows, maybe my body will surprise me yet. ;0)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya never know, she may come earlier....but having a Halloween baby would make for some very cool birthday parties!

Anonymous said...

Hopefully this baby will cooperate and come earlier (before your doctor goes out of town!). Hugs!

Anonymous said...

awww...
I'm sorry pal. I'm pulling for earlier too,.Aj was 4 days late so I feel your pain.
*sigh*
Hugs
I'm pulling for the 22nd. :)

Anonymous said...

well..it's the 22nd....
She here yet?
*sigh*

Anonymous said...

Just remember, they're much less work on the inside -- and since you've already got four "on the outside", try to take these last few days as a respite. :)

(sorry, not helping??? I tried)

And I agree with Tammy, having a Halloween baby could be cool. :)