Sunday, April 18, 2010

Making life easier

Years ago, I heard someone say (or maybe it was something I read) that when it comes to keeping up with your house, if there's something that makes a job easier, tho it might cost a little extra, USE it (or do it, etc). I believe the example they gave was the bathtub and a using a product that will do the "scrubbing" work for you. I'm butchering the example, but hopefully you get the idea. Sometimes in order to take care of everything we do, we have to take shortcuts.

So that got me thinking. I wonder if all my fellow mom-friends have something that they do to make life just a little bit easier. My "guilty-pleasure" if you will, is paper plates. Yes, I admit it, we buy them regularly. It's built into my grocery budget.

Washing dishes isn't a big deal (ESPECIALLY with a dishwasher), but I will admit that being able to just throw away the plates after dinner, it just makes my life that much easier. So while I do hate how much waste it is, and sometimes feel disgusted by that thought, I enjoy using paper plates.

Don't worry, if you're ever over for dinner, I promise we'll dust off the dishes and use the real stuff for you. Maybe. ;0)

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I definitely have a few of those! I put cleaning products in each of the bathrooms because I don't want to have to carry them from room to room! Then there's juice boxes - they are my friend when I just can't stop what I'm doing to pour the kids a drink. OH, I bought a Touch-N-Brush to cut down on the globs of toothpaste all over the kids bathroom (it has cut down about 75% of the globs) Oh, and does shoving all the clutter from the family room into my bedroom count? I do that too if I have unexpected guests! lol

Jenée's Blog said...

Erin, I *love* posts like these! -They are so real and relatable. As a mother, I have two consistent “short cuts”: 1- My over use of *Bounty* paper towels. (I even buy them in bulk quantities at Sam’s Club!) AND, 2- When I serve my children juice, I half it with water… and mainly for longevity purposes. I am sure I do more, but these were the first two that came to mind.

Erin said...

Jennifer, what is a Touch-N-Brush?? I haaaaate the tooth paste globs! ARG! lol

I think shoving it all into your room counts...I close off my living room if the house is a mess and I have company. :D

Jenee, I've found a few things that I buy in bulk at sams for the same reason!! I water down my kids' juice too! :D

Anonymous said...

Ever tried Mr. Clean Magic Erasers?? Honestly, I can't think of a more awesome cleaning product. Seriously. A little extra money but SOOOOO worth it. It will clean almost every tough stain you thought would never come out.

Lammy said...

Amen, sista. Sometimes you just gotta. I walked around the grocery store tonight and realized I turned into one of those Quicky Moms. *sigh* Unfortunately- sometimes ya just gotta.