Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Parade!

Last Saturday was our city's Christmas parade. I think we've gone pretty much every year that we've been here, so I guess it's kind of tradition. The kids mostly like it...although there are some parts that are a little boring.

It was fun to watch the "usuals" like the Shriners with their little race cars and hillbilly cars, or the local high school marching bands and the pageant girls and boys waving. But there were also some new additions this year. Jared Fogle, the subway guy was in our parade. How cool is that!?! I thought it was pretty cool. Apparently he's spreading the message to get healthy and not to wait until January 1st to make a resolution. Sounds good, doesn't it? (I say as I sit here eating another piece of divinity.)

And while there were some cute new additions to this year's parade, there were also some not so cute. Downright scary to tell you the truth. There was a group of 6 or 8 belly dancers, for example, walking in the parade and sort of belly dancing as they walked. And it would have been fine I guess, but not only were there a couple of really heavy girls, but they were wearing shirts with see through material to show off, I presume, their bellies. I guess I have to give them kudos for being confident enough to shake their bodies, but wow. I sure couldn't do it...

Santa, of course, ended the parade on his sleigh with reindeer. Then life goes on and the entire city of warner robins are all trying to get out of the parking lot at one time. Talk about chaos. We usually sit and wait for the crowds to die down, since we've never been in that big of a rush. As we sat waiting, I noticed how much trash people had left behind on the ground. It was really sad. Totally ruins the fun for me, especially thinking about how much time it must have taken to clean it up.

It's no Macy's Parade, but it still gets me in the mood for Christmas. And I looooooooooove me some Christmas! :)

No comments: