Saturday, November 18, 2006

Where are you from?!

Living in a military town (and in what used to be off base military housing), I get asked a lot where I am from. In the past I've always made some response about how I'm a military brat and grew up mainly overseas in Germany and England. So much harder to explain that just "Georgia" or "California". It started me thinking tho...
I've lived in Georgia for almost 9 years, and 7 of those years I've been in the same town. At what point will my response become "I'm from Georgia."? It still doesn't seem natural for me to say I'm from Georgia. My husband is a born and bred Georgian. With the exception of 2 years when he served a church mission in the Dominican Republic, he has lived in Georgia his whole life.

So WDYT (what do you think)? Will I always have to explain my roots or one day will I feel like I'm "from" Georgia? LOL Guess time will tell. :D

Since Thanksgiving is almost here, I made a new signature. David looks so big. :(

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i feel the same way, i have been a moving-around-military wife for 15 years. But i feel my home is Minnesota. (Georgia was good, but not my home of record)

Anonymous said...

I tell people that I've lived LITERALLY 1/2 my life in Germany and I get a really weird response.
Mostly,tho, I say "I'm from nowhere"...and yet still people don't believe me. So I'll say that I went to college in California. That seems to satisfy them.
The last year Jess was in Pschool (2nd grade), they were asked to do a report on their "hometown".She's always been military, and I don't have a hometown, and Aaron's family doesn't live where he grew up.... her teacher gave her the option to do a report about a native american tribe.
Life as a nomad.
Claim Georgia as your home. There are worse places! haha

Anonymous said...

wow its hard to think like that because I have lived in the same town my whole life, only leaving for college and briefly in the next town over when I lived with Brian. I never really thought that some people don't have a "from". You have been to so many places, and that is truly amazing. Why not share that you are from ALL of them :D


LOVE THE SIGGY!!! He looks 3 :D (I know, not happy face for you, but he is such a beautiful boy)